As our lastest blog on Lockdown Lessons in Free-Range Eggs reveals, we are planning an umSisi House favourite breakfast recipe of spiced kidney beans to celebrate the first free-range eggs laid at umSisi House. This is a quick and simple recipe that is bursting with flavour and crying out for a perfectly poached egg. It also benefits from as much chilli as your breakfast palate can handle!
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno chilli (0r other green chilli), finely chopped, or more to taste
1 tomato, chopped
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 (400g) cans dark red kidney beans, undrained
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
salt and black pepper to taste
Eggs for poaching
Parsley or coriander for sprinkling (your preference)
Pitta bread or other flat bread for cleaning the bowls
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the jalapeno chilli; cook and stir until softened, about 5 more minutes.
3. Mix in tomato and tomato paste; stir to combine with the onion and jalapeno chilli.
4. Pour in the kidney beans with their liquid; stir in the cumin and curry powder.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the beans are hot and the sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes.
6. Now prepare your poached eggd and warm your pitta bread
7. Season just before serving and sprinkle with parsley or coriander
There is little confusion over the spelling of Fasolia? Is it Fasolia or Fasoulia? All we do know is that this is the Arabic word for beans, but used here to describe a dish of spiced kidney beans. If anyone can enlighten us, please let us know! This recipe inspiration comes from All Recipes
We love indulging our guests in gourmet getaway experiences and we hope to one day have you at the umSisi table!